PR2 + Beer
Done!!! Willow Garage proudly presents the first open source “beer fetching app” for robots!
Part of a 1-week project, together with a few of my colleagues, we programmed the PR2 robot to:
- navigate and find a refrigerator
- open its door by locating the fridge handle
- position the robot’s manipulators so that the door doesn’t close while grasping things inside the fridge
- automatically identify the types of beer available in the fridge (we trained models on about 9 beers - training involves simply storing a picture of the beer bottle you want to identify in a directory)
- determine the types of beer the user selected from a web page, compute grasping points, move the arms and grasp them, and then move the beers onto a storing rack that we installed on the robot
- close the fridge door
- navigate the the delivery point selected by the user on the web page
- identify people faces and perform delivery/hand-off beer + bottle opener
- wait for bottle opener and resume!
Optionally, the robot can open the beer too!
The entire source code is available at:
If you find it useful, PLEASE let us know! Obviously this app is “powered by PCL”
You can read our entire blog entry here: http://www.willowgarage.com/blog/2010/07/06/beer-me-robot. Cheers!
Edit: I just noticed that we got picked by Slashdot. Some of the comments posted are pretty funny.